Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Good News and Sad News

This was a pretty exciting day -- well, you know, in comparison to the last few days which have been stultifyingly boring, no doubt due to the fact that I have been too lazy to do much of anything. Yesterday I did walk five miles, and that put me over 100 miles for January. I did another five-mile walk today, located the optometrist's office where I'm going tomorrow morning, and checked out the parking around Trinity Cathedral -- not good.
When I checked my mailbox, I got a pleasant surprise. I've won a ticket to Austin, TX on Jet Blue. I got a notice a couple of weeks ago saying I "may have won," and which looked legitimate and was from a marketing company -- which is how most contests are fulfilled, and besides, I really had entered such a contest. So today I got the formal letter that I can use whenever I want to in the next year. It's good for Austin to anywhere, so I'm contemplating FF miles to Austin, and then use this ticket to go to the Bahamas or something.
Later today, my good friend Alex Trebek came by, and I took the Jeopardy online contestant quiz, which I had signed up for a few weeks ago. They give you 15 seconds per question. I don't know how many questions there were, maybe 30? I think I may have gotten five. It's an initial screening test, so the questions are all over the map. I thought it was pretty hard, but then, there are SO MANY things I don't know anything about.
On a sad note, I found out yesterday that Patti Habel had died. I first met her when she worked on Leroy's campaign, which I think might have been her first political job. She was a wonderful person who had such zest for life and such a wonderful positive attiude -- not to mention she was really cute. And definitely too young to die of lung cancer (and no, she wasn't a smoker) at 49.
My final information today is that now Toyota has ceased selling all Toyotas in the affected period (again, not inluding my own personal death trap) whether they are new or used. So I will probably never be able to sell that car, because everyone will think (as I do) that it's one of the affected ones. It may very well be affected, but it's just one that they're not admitting to yet. If I had half a chance of getting my money out of it, I'd sell it in the blink of an eye right now. I do know that if I see any Toyota bearing down on me, I'm not going to be my agressive driver self, but just get the hell out of the way -- and hope that's not when my Toyota decides not to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers