Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The New Computer

Finally, tonight, I'm having a little fun with my new computer. I got one of those little mini laptops because I thought it would be easier to take on a trip, etc., or at least I wouldn't mind losing it as much as my more expensive laptop.

I've had it for two weeks, but couldn't bring myself to take it out of the box and try to set it up, because I was pretty sure I'd do something wrong. As it turned out, the challenge has been finding the password for the wireless router.

I was pretty sure it was on the router itself, and there are three long numbers on the back. One of them said SN before it, so I was pretty sure that wasn't it. So I tried the first number -- no luck. Tried it again, duh, still no luck. Then I tried the second number. Also no luck. Then I got out the other computer, hoping I could find the number on the computer. I've seen other people do this, but I couldn't find it.

Finally, I went upstairs and put a second pair of glasses on over my regular ones and discovered that I had read two 5's as being 6's. Sure enough, that was the magic answer, so now I'm here writing on my new laptop. It has a smaller screen than the other one, and is of course, all over smaller, but seems to weigh about the same, which is a little disappointing.

In other news today, I was supposed to go watch the lovely Rina while her dad got stuff together for a show he's doing in the Bay Area tonight. I had completely forgotten about it, which may have been just as well, except for today's inconvenience to him, because I am coming down with the cold that John started last Thursday or so, and suspect that if I'm going to be contagious, it's probably today. So other than the annoyance today, they'll probably be just as glad I didn't. Since I like pictures on the blog, of course, here's a picture of Rina. I went out to look for Eucalyptus leaves to boil and inhale tonight, and discovered to my chagrin that the trees I used to plunder over by the YMCA have been cut down. Damn. I ended up walking a mile and a half looking for another tree, finally went back to the one at the Bee, which is only four blocks from the house. That one's a little hard for anybody but a koala bear to get to, though, because the lowest branches are about 20 feet high, so you can only get whatever has fallen off.
I still don't have the closet finished, but now there's a reason to get it done. I have a ton of junk all over the floor in the sunporch, and John has suddenly decided that it's time to get another estimate for the windows. At this point, nobody could even get in to take any measurements -- it's difficult in the best of times, and that room hasn't seen the best of times since before Christmas.

The other thing I discovered in getting the new computer is that the card reader in the old one is kaput. I was hoping perhaps it was the camera card itself that was bad, but I just stuck it in this one and it's fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers