Tuesday, September 7, 2010

LABOR DAY WEEKEND

Labor Day, and the end of the summer. An opportunity to just kind of hang out, for us. We usually don't leave town, because we usually go to Chalk it Up. This weekend there was also some kind of a religious fanatic meeting at the Capitol. I saw at least 200 porta-potties there on Friday so I came down on Saturday to see what was going on. Certainly not my type of religion -- well, though, what is? But this seems to be a lot more political than religious. I don't think they had the 50,000 turnout they expected, probably more like 5,000, if that -- at least at the Capitol. I think they had more people elsewhere. It's funny, because we saw a few of the presenters at a coffee shop, and they were talking about "whose butt they had to kiss" to get something or other. So in fact, they are as cynical as I am.

After that, though it was on to Chalk it Up, much more my style of an event -- artists, low lifes, and people who just seem more, normal.


The quality was really good this year, and it looked like there was a lot more interest in the festival than last year. Seemed like there were more vendors and just more buzz. Also I liked the music this year better than some in the past. It wasn't so loud that your ears hurt. This was the 25th annual Chalk it Up which is a fundraiser for arts in the schools. John and Linda have had squares in the past, but I think John finds it too frustrating and Linda and Tim were doing a show somewhere else, so we were only spectators.


And best of all, John got to do his annual wardrobe shopping

John and I have decided to eat healthier. He dodged a bullet about prostate cancer -- his doctor had told him to expect to start radiation therapy, but turns out he is apparently cancer free after the biopsy. His doctor now thinks that the problem is chronic inflammation of the prostate, so we have started on an anti-inflammation diet. It's a pretty okay diet if you don't get too obsessive about it. It's got a lot of vegetables, and few carbs, but it's a lot of new stuff to figure out. I've had a UTI and finally went to the doctor today and got started on antibiotics, yuk. I've tried to wait it out but after a week and drinking a whole bogful of cranberry juice with little relief, I gave in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers