Sunday, September 12, 2010

BABYSITTERS FROM HELL

Okay, here's the point of being a grandparent, sort of.
John and I went to babysit Rina tonight because Mike and Heather's band, Knock Knock, was playing a gig at the Press Club.
When we got there they were close to getting ready to go. Mike said Rina hadn't had a nap today, so he expected her to be a little bit fussy. He also told us there was a bottle of beer in the fridge.
So, of course, as soon as they left, we got into the beer. One bottle, yeah, but it was about a quart or so -- maybe a liter. Of course, pretty soon the babysitters are pretty tipsy, but no problem, because Rina is happy playing with the books John bought over -- in a plastic bag. Yeah, I know, don't let kids play with plastic bags. But we didn't let her put it over her head.
After awhile, she wa pretty bored with playing with the plastic bag, so I figured I might as well give her some dinner. Mike had made some pasta for her, and all I had to do was warm up some frozen peas. John was watching her while I did that, and the next thing I knew he said she tipped over and spilled the rest of the beer. Oh, no!! no more beer for the babysitters.
While he's cleaning up the beer, she climbs up on a stool and manages to fall off, but also gets a pen as a reward to make her stop crying. With the pen while the incompetent/tipsy babysitters are otherwise distracted, she draws on the wall with the pen.
Dinner goes pretty well, except I'm having a bit of trouble getting her to eat with the spoon, as she'd rather shove the food in her mouth a fistful at a time. But I'm the grandmother, so what do I care if she wants to be a barbarian?
While she's eating dinner, I'm noticing that she looks like she's about to fall asleep. As soon as I got her down from her chair and literally before I had finished wiping the pieces of pasta off the chair, she was down on the floor in the doorway, sound asleep.
Mike had said their performance was at 5 p.m. and it was now about 6:40, so I figured she could just lie there on the floor and sleep. After all, I'm just the grandma. About 7 or so, he called and said they hadn't gone on yet, but they were about to go on and they'd be home in about 45 minutes. Okay with me. About 15 minutes after that, though, she woke up and all hell broke loose because she had no idea where she was, and I didn't see her awake til she started crying, and then it was some pretty serious crying while I was holding her and trying to comfort her, until John came out with this toy guitar of the Fischer Price variety and danced around which seemed to calm her down.
She started to fall asleep in my arms, but I decided that in 20 minutes I was going to be real unhappy about that and we would both be a sweaty mess, so I took her and put her into her bed. That started the crying again, but Rocker John came back in and she kind of calmed down and went back to sleep. Mama and Papa came back pretty soon after that, and the babysitters from hell slunk back into their depths.
There are no pictures from this debacle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers