Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Winding down

This is a two day blog because we were too busy drinking last night to blog.

Martha and I spent yesterday morning working on some programs for a recital she’s having at her house tonight. After we had them to death, John and I went down Broadway to the street fair -- this week’s being between 66th & 73 more or less. It kept looking like it was going to storm and the wind was blowing wildly so that the vendors had to hold onto their tents lest they get blown away.

I had a really good falafel and an order of french fried sweet potatoes. The falafel was the best I’ve had – very crispy on the outside and almost creamy on the inside.

We didn’t get back home til almost 5, had to spend a certain amount of time at Filene’s basement because it finally did start to pour down rain. Oh, too bad. Didn’t last long, though, so we walked home instead of taking the subway or bus. We stopped and had a gelato and paid $10.50!!! for two small ones. Ah, New York.

We had dinner at a Mexican restaurant on Columbus which had really good food. I had fajitas which were not at all like what we would get in California – the pieces of meat were cubed about an inch square and seemed deep fried or something, but they were good, and the side vegetables were wonderful. Plenty of them and very tasty. Of course there may be some sort of a halo effect since I started my dinner with a grande Margarita.

Then we came home and had some more wine. I certainly slept well, though.

This morning we worked on the program some more – especially the translations page, then found out one of the players isn’t coming, so I volunteered to play in the concert tonight – probably not a good idea, but I am the slave and I will do what I am told. I spent most of the afternoon making a watermelon and cucumber salad for 20 people, and a broccoli/cauliflower/fennel salad for 20 people. I feel like I’ve been chopping all afternoon. John and I went out to lunch and had a sandwich at a health club, which was quite reasonably priced for NY and tasted good as well. Then we stopped and had 1 coffee and 1 cookie (both shared) and that was almost $6. And the cookie wasn’t even very good.

I’m waiting for further instructions to start cleaning up for the party now.

And now it’s Wednesday night. I just really am not keeping up. Part of the problem is that if I don’t take my camera, I don’t think anything I do will look very interesting, and while I did take the camera yesterday, I left the memory card at the apartment. John has totally moved into going home mode as of about yesterday afternoon, so we have basically done nothing except hang around, walk down Broadway a bit, take the cats to the vet, move heavy things for Martha, and other stuff that while not unpleasant, isn’t very interesting to read about. We did manage to make it to one of our favorite restaurants, Cafe con Leche, which is a Cuban place on Amsterdam.

I got a new haircut and I love it. So my only picture will be a before and after. It’s really short and spiky. I think most of my friends won’t like it, but I HATED it when it was so long.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers