Saturday, June 5, 2010

East Side, West Side, all around the town (on the boat)

Today was supposed to have a thundershower, and it still may, since I’m starting this at 4 p.m. and we’re planning on going on a red and white cruise at 7 p.m., which gives us time to either have the thundershower while we’re on our ride, or while we’re trying to get there.

This morning the alarm went off at 5 a.m., which was totally my fault as I was messing around with it last night. I went right back to sleep, though. Then around 8 or so Julia started carrying on as she felt she had gone far too long without eating. I continued sleeping, but I was aware of it. But I was tired. I guess I’m getting old or something.

When we finally got up we had our favorite breakfast in NY, a bagel and cream cheese and coffee while reading Time Out and the NY Times. Makes me feel like such a New Yorker.


Then we headed over to the Met. There’s supposed to be a street fair over there, but it’s just the usual art vendors and hot dog stands as far as I can see. They had a great Picasso retrospective there and also a really interesting history of women’s styles, basically of the 20th century, but going to about 1890 Some of the dresses were just drop dead gorgeous. I got a couple of pictures before I found out you weren’t allowed to take any.

We had a leisurely walk back to the apartment and John has now gone to sleep, Martha is practicing, and I’m just waiting for everybody to be ready to go on the boat cruise. It starts at 7 p.m., you’re supposed to be there 45 minutes early to go, and it’s now 10 to 5. Martha is still practicing and wearing a dress you would never wear out of the house, and everybody expects to stop and have dinner on the way. I am continually amazed at what little concept some people have of time – this from someone who tends to always be late herself.

It’s later now, and amazingly enough, we did not miss the boat. We still don’t know how that happened. We left here about 5:30, stopped to get a light dinner, and then at 6:05, got on the subway to go to Times Square to get the 42 bus to go to pier 42. Well, first of all, that was nowhere near enough time, and secondly when we got off the subway, we couldn’t find the 42 bus. (And this isn’t just us lame tourists talking, Martha, who goes everywhere on the bus, couldn’t find it either. As it turned out, it was only about 5 blocks or so down to the boat place, but remember, we were supposed to be there 45 minutes early and boat sails at 7 p.m. At this point we decided it couldn’t be anything but a dry run for another evening, but we walked on down there anyway. It’s now about 10 to seven, we are not moving all that fast, but we can, in fact see water. When we get within about a block of the place, I say, “I’ll just run on ahead and see how long we have and maybe we can still make it.”

I went up to the ticket booth (I’d already paid on line, but I had to exchange a voucher for the tickets) and said, “do you think we’ll make it if my friends are still a block away?” They said yes, and believe it or not, we did. We still had to walk about a half a block from the ticket booth to where we actually boarded the boat We were the very last people to come aboard. The horn blew, the lines were released, and we were underway almost before we were even seated.

It was really late afternoon when we started (7:05) and it was dark by the time we got back, 9 p.m. I got a few nice pictures. But mostly it was just fun to be on the boat. The sailboat is the one Zoe and I didn't get to go out on last time because it was raining so hard and thundering and lightning-ing.



And for the Sacramento crowd: Frozen yogurt is SO CHEAP in Sacramento. They have none of those self-serve yogurt shops here, and the shops they do have have damn few flavors. Afterwards we stopped for a yogurt and Martha and I each got one. Flavor choices, regular, European tart, green tea, and choice of the day. There was no choice of the day. They dish up the yogurt from the exciting list of choices, and then for a dollar each, they put toppings on it. So you get, say, 4 raspberries for a dollar. I had mine plain because the toppings didn’t look all that good, and then when I saw how small they were, I was even happier. But it cost $8.60 for two yogurts. (John didn’t have one because he stopped at the grocery store. If we’d had three, he would have had to take out a bank loan.)

So now we’re at the usual thing. It’s 1 a.m., everybody is in bed, and I’m still up. It's cooling off, and perhaps we'll still get that thunderstorm that was supposed to come today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers