Monday, May 31, 2010

Waterfalls and Ice Cream



It’s nice to have a down day, though my definition of a down day and John’s are way different. He has to worry about stuff all the time. Today we decided to drive around Lake Cayuga, with a sort of goal of going all around the lake, looking at some waterfalls, and maybe stopping at antique stores or something.

Anyway, we started out, and drove as far as Taughannock Falls which is in a state park of the same name and which is right on the highway around the lake. We walked up to the falls and waded in the river part of the way. The bottom of the river is just plain rock and has no sharp things to walk on. The water is really quite low, it usually comes over to the edge of everything you see in the picture that’s white. And the whole river is about ankle deep. We saw some people swimming, but eventually they would stand up, and we’d see that they were only in about a foot or so of water.
After we left there, we went on to a town called Interlaken which has the best ice cream in the world. I loved it.From there we drove up to the town of Auburn which has the only totally Tiffany church that has Tiffany everything. Of course, this being Memorial Day, everything was closed. I rather figured that would be the case, ad it didn’t matter to me, because I was happy with the whole driving around experience. It’s really beautiful farmland here in upstate New York.
For dinner, we went to the Ale House in Ithaca because we both really wanted a beer. I had a crab cake salad that had not only the best crab cakes I’ve ever tasted, but also had some really nice veggies in it as well, which is a surprise when a salad has some kind of good meat in it, it usually has nothing but a lame bunch of lettuce in it.

Tomorrow we drive to Poughkeepsie which promises to be be a hassle, simply because we have REALLY different ideas of how to manage a road trip. John wants to stick his nose in the map for 200 miles and always know exactly where he is on that map. I want to hope for good luck when I get near a town and see a sign. I tend to get a bit pissed when suddenly I need some information, but he wants to tell me information over and over and over again all the time we are driving. I told him to take a Xanax in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers