Monday, December 27, 2010

Building a Boat, but don't call me Noah


It's not even raining today, and yet, I've been building a boat. Well, not exactly a boat, more of a raft, and for the purpose of floating our hopes and dreams down the river.

This is an event Zoe and I do every year, and we plan on doing it tomorrow if the weather is okay. This year, I'm making it out of wine corks. I had saved a nice palm frond that was a perfect shape from the summer, but when I went looking for it tonight, I couldn't find it. So I looked in the junk drawer in the kitchen. There were about 100 wine corks in the drawer, most of them from two-buck chuck, so I had plenty to work with. I drilled two holes in each cork and put them together in a brick pattern with string. I think this will work. I think i look just like Martha Stewart while I'm working. I also realize that this is a good way to put the corks together to make a hotplate. I tried to make one once before, but I tried to glue them together and it was a disaster.


I floated it in the sink, even with sample flowers on it, and it appears that it's not going to turn over -- a problem with some of my previous unseaworthy crafts. I'm guessing there will be more water and more current tomorrow than on previous launches, because they've been letting quite a bit of water out of Folsom dam because of expectations of rain. Or maybe that's over with. Not sure whether the sink is good enough to determine the floatability -- or the possibility of waves putting out the candle. I'm experimenting with some camellia flower, some marguerites, and some rosemary for remembrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers